Japanese Learning Process

I am reading "Berlitz Essential Japanese" and I am going to blog about the process of me learning Japanese from this book.
I will summarize each lesson in my own way for future references :)

February 28, 2011

Japanese Lesson #8

Atama ga itai! My head hurts!

Adjectives ending in -i
or adjectives end in -na when they come before nouns
ii (good,fine)
warui (bad, wrong)
hayai (fast, early)
osoi (slow, late)
takai (high, expensive)
yasui (cheap)
oishii (delicious, tasty)
atarashii (new, fresh)
atsui (hot)
samui (cold (weather))
muzukashii (difficult)
ōkii (big
itai (painfull)
chiisai (small)
(come before word they are describing or stand alone)
eg.
Kore wa oishii sakana desu ne. (This is delicious fish, isn't it?)
Kono sakana wa oishii desu ne. (This fish is delicious, isn't it?)
drop -i and add -ku arimasen/-ku nai desu/-ku nai n' desu for negative form

takai > takaku arimasen (isn't expensive)
ōkii > ōkiku arimasen (isn't large)
chiisai > chiisaku arimasen (isn't small)
muzukashii > muzukashiku arimasen (isn't difficult)
itai > itaku arimasen (isn't painful)
warui > waruku arimasen (isn't bad)
atsui > atsuku arimasen (isn't hot)
ii/you > yoku arimasen (isn't good)
eg.
Kyō wa amari atsuku arimasen ne. (It's not very hot today, is it?)
Watashi no shigoto wa muzukashiku arimasen. (My work isn't difficult.)
Atama wa mō itaku arimasen. (My head doesn't hurt anymore.)

More on telling the time
mae - before/in front of
eg.
Kaigi wa ku-ji jū-go-fun mae ni hajimarimasu. ( The meeting starts at a quarter to nine.)
Hachi-ji jup-pun mae ni denwa shimasu. ( I'll call you at ten to eight.)
Ni-ji chotto mae ni kite kudasai. (Please come a little before two o'clock.)
sugi - after/past
eg.
Jū-ji jup-pun sugi desu. (It's ten past ten.)
Mō ichi-ji sugi desu. (It's already gone one o'clock.)

iru/imasu after the -te form
(describe an event that's happening at the moment)
eg.
Tomoko wa ima nani o shite imasu ka. (What's Tomoko doing at the moment?)
Hiro wa made nete imasu. (Hiro is still sleeping)
Kenji wa konban uchi ni Eigo no benkyō o shite imasu. (Kenji is studying English at home this evening.)
(describe actions that continue over a long period of time)
eg.
Maiku san wa Nihon no kōkō de Eigo o oshiete imasu. (Mike teaches English at a Japanese high school)

Haha vs o-kāsan
in-group;out-group
kazoku > go-kazoku (family)
haha > o-kāsan (mother)
chichi > 0-tōsan (father)
kanai/tsuma > okusan (wife)
shujin/otto > go-shujin (husband)
ane > o-nēsan (older sister)
ani > o-niisan (older brother)
imōto > imōtosan (younger sister)
otōto > otōtosan (younger brother)
eg.
Ani wa ginkō de hataraite imasu ga, otōto wa mada daigakusei desu. (My older brother works in a bank, but my younger brother is still a university student.)
O-nēsan wa Igirisu de benkyō shite imasu ne. (My older sister is studying in Britain, isn't she?)

Informal speech levels
eg.
Atama ga itai./Atama ga itai desu. (My head hurts.)
Ima nan-ji?/Ima nan-ji desu ka. (What time is it?)
A, ii ne./A, ii desu ne. (Great)

First names and family names
Girls' names
eg.
Keiko
Tomoko
often end in -ko
Boy's names
eg.
Jiro
Ichiro
Taro

Vocabulary
ane : (my) older sister
ani : (my) older brother
atama : head
atama ga itai : I have a headache, my head hurts
atsui : hot
chichi : (my) father
chiisai : small
chotto : a little, a bit
go-kazoku : (your) family
go-shujin : (your) husband
gogo : afternoon
haha : (my) mother
hataraite imasu : is working
hayai : fast, early
hiru-gohan : lunch
imōto : (my) younger sister
imōtosan : (your) younger sister
issho ni : together
itai : painful
kaerimasu : return,go/come home
kanai/tsuma : (my) wife
Kawasaki : industrial city near Tokyo
kazoku : family
ki o tsukete (kudasai) : take care, be careful
mae : before, in front of
matte imasu : is waiting
minna de : altogether, everyone together
mite imasu : is watching
muzukashii nai : isn't difficult
neru : to sleep, go to bed
ni-kai : second floor, upstairs
nonde iru : is drinking
o-kāsan : (your) mother
o-nēsan : (your) older sister
o-niisan : (your) older brother
otōsan : (your) father
oboete imasen ka : don't you remember
okusan : (your wife)
oshiete imasu : is teaching
osoi : late/slow
otōto : (my) younger brother
otōtosan : (your) younger brother
otto/shujin : (my) husband
renshū : practice
samui : cold
shukudai : homework
sugi : past, after
sunde imasu : is residing, living
takai : high, expensive
tanjōbi : birthday
tonari : next to, by the side
tsuma/kanai : (my) wife
warui : bad, wrong
yakyū : baseball
yasui : cheap
yonde : call

Quoted from Berlitz Essential Japanese


Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Japanese Lesson #8"

Post a Comment