Japanese Learning Process

I am reading "Berlitz Essential Japanese" and I am going to blog about the process of me learning Japanese from this book.
I will summarize each lesson in my own way for future references :)

February 22, 2011

Japanese Lesson #3

Nihon e yōkoso! (Welcome to Japan!)

san = Mr./Ms./Mrs./Miss.
(never use it with your own name)
eg.
Watanabe Neruson san desu ka. (Are you Mr. Nelson?)
Nelson Hai, sō desu. Neruson desu. (Yes, that's right. I'm Nelson.)

desu = to be; I am/you are/he is/she is/it is/we are/they are
(verb always comes at the end of a Japanese sentence)
eg.
Gakusei desu (I am a student)
Enjinia desu (He is an engineer)

ka = forming questions (?)
(add it at the end of a sentence, not necessary to use "?" after it)
eg.
Gakusei desu ka. (Are you/Is he a student?)
Yokohama desu ka. (Is this Yokohama?)
(use "?" when ka is not spoken)
eg.
Kanadajin? = Kanadajin desu ka.

no = particle "-'s" to know belonging or possession
eg.
Suzuki san no meishi (Mr. Suzuki's business card)
gakkō no namae (the school's name)
Amerika no kaisha (an American company)
Nihon no kurumu (Japanese cars)
Watashi no gakkō no sensei (my school's teachers)

Does not usually differentiate between singular and plural
eg.
Saitō san? Enjinia desu. (Mr. Saitō? He's an engineer)
Saitō san to Katō san? Enjinia desu. (Mr. Saitō and Mr. Katō? They are engineers)

No a/an/the
eg.
Gakusei desu ka. (Are you (a) student?)

e = to or towards
(comes after the name of the place towards which you're going)
eg.
Tōkyō e yokoso. (Welcome to Tokyo)
Kochira e, dōzo. (This way, please)

Vocabulary
Amerika : America
Amerikajin : an American
arigatō : thank you (more informal than dōmo arigatō)
chigaimasu : that's incorrect, wrong
dai ik-ka : lesson one
desu : I am, you are, he is, she is, it is, we are, they are
dōmo arigatō : thank you
dōmo sumimasen : I'm sorry, I apologize
dōzo : please
e : to, towards
enjinia : engineer
ga : but
gakkō : school
gakuin : institute, school, place of learning
gakusei : student
hai : yes
hajimemashite : how do you do?
iie : no
ja : well, in that case
-jin : person (of country)
ka : indicate a question
kaisha : company, office
Kanada : Canada
Kanadajin : a Canadian
kochira : this way
kōkō : high school (kōtō gakkō)
kuruma : car
meishi : business card
namae : name
Nihon : Japan
Nihongo : Japanese
no : -'s
san : Mr., Mrs., Ms., Miss
sensei : teacher, professor
shitsurei desu ga : excuse me, but ...
sō desu : that's right, that's so
sō desu ka : I see, is that so?
suminasen : excuse me, I'm sorry
sūtsukēsu : suitcase
to : and
watashi : I, me
watashi no : my
yōkoso : welcome

Quoted from Berlitz Essential Japanese


Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Japanese Lesson #3"

Post a Comment