Japanese Learning Process

I am reading "Berlitz Essential Japanese" and I am going to blog about the process of me learning Japanese from this book.
I will summarize each lesson in my own way for future references :)

March 11, 2011

Japanese Lesson #17

Sō sureba... = if you do that...

Before = mae ni, after the plain form of verb
eg.
Sono fakkusu o Nagoya shisha ni okuru mae ni, misete kudasai. (Before you send that fax to the Nagoya branch, please show it to me.
Watashi wa neru mae ni, itsumo hon o yomimasu. (Before I go to sleep, I always read a book.

After = -te from with kara
eg.
Kabuki o mite kara, dokoka e nomi ni ikimashō ka. (After we've seen Kabuki, shall we go for a drink somewhere?)
Sono shukudai o owatte kara, sugu neta hō ga ii to omoimasu. (After you finish your homework, I think you should go
straight to bed.)
Shashin ga dekite kara, misete kudasai ne. (When the photographs are done, please let me see them.)

Sō sureba = if we do so
suru > sureba (if I/you do)
kuru > kureba (if I come)
kaku > kakeba (if I write)
harau > haraeba (if I pay)
okuru > okureba (if I send
aru > areba (if I have)
tsukuru > tsukureba (if I make)
dekiru > dekireba (if I can)
eg.
Moshi dekireba, kotoshi gaikoku e ikitai n'desu. (If I can, I want to go abroad this year)
Ame ga fureba, dekakeru yotei o yamemashō. (If it rains, let's drop the plan to go out.)

-if something doesn't happen
tsukawanai > tsukawanakareba ( if I/you don't use)
ikanai > ikanakareba > if I don't go
wakaranai > wakaranakareba (if I don't understand)
nai > nakareba (if there isn't)
dekakenai > dekakenakereba (if we don't go out)
kawanai > kawanakereba (if I don't buy)
matte inai > matte inakereba (if he isn't waiting)
eg.
Hoka ni shitsumon ga nakereba, kore de owarimashō. (If there aren't any more questions, let's finish here.)
Jikan ga nakereba, shikata ga arimasen. (If you don't have time, it can't be helped.)

-i adj, add kareba
atsui > atsukareba > if it's hot
ii/yoi > yokereba (if it's good)
isogashi > isogashikereba (if you are busy)
hoshi > hoshikereba (if you want)
takai > takakereba (if it's expensive)
samuku nai >samuku nakereba (if it's not cold)
yasuku nai > yasuku nakereba (if it's not cheap)
yoku nai > yoku nakereba (if it's not good)
tōku nai > tōku nakereba (if it's not far)
eg.
Ashita tenki ga yokereba, dokoka e ikimashō ka. (If the weather's nice tomorrow, shall we go somewhere?)
Hazukashikereba, jiko shōkai o Eigo de shite mo ii desu. (If you are shy, it's okay to introduce yourself in English.)

desu > de areba/nara (if it is)/ de nakereba (if it isn't)
eg.
Kirai nara, tabenakute mo ii desu. (If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it.)
Nichiyōbi de nakereba, iku koto ga dekimasen. (If it is not Sunday, I can't go.)

Mazu (First of all)
Sore kara (and then/after that)
soshite (then)
sono ato (after that)
sono tsugi ni (next)
saigo ni (finally/at the end)
eg.
Mazu Igirisu ni itte, sore kara Furansu ni itte, saigo ni Itaria ni ikimashita. Totemo tanoshikatta desu yo. (First we went to Britain, then we went to France, and finally we went to Italy. It was really enjoyable.)

Tame ni = for/in order to
eg.
Kono jisho wa gaijin no tame desu. (This dictionary is for foreigners.)
Kare wa shigoto no tame ni raigetsu Yōroppa ni ikimasu. (He's going to Europe next month on business.)
Kitte o kau tame ni yūbinkyoku e ikimasu. (I'm going to the post office in order to buy some stamps.)

Counting flat things = mai
eg.
Kyōto made ni-mai kudasai. (Two tickets to Kyoto, please.)
Kono hagaki wa, ichi-mai ikura desu ka. (How much is one of these postcards?)

Vocabulary
au mae ni : before meeting
dekakeru : go out
denki-dai : electricity charges
denki : electricity
denwa-dai : telephone charges
Eikaiwa : English conversation
fūtō : envelope
gasu-dai : gas charges
gasu : gas
hagaki : postcard
harau : pay
ikeba : if we go
jisho : dictionary
jūbun : enough, sufficient
kabuki : Japanese classical play
kakikonde : please fill in/out
kippu : ticket
kitte: stamp
kōkūbin : airmail
kozutsumi : parcel
-mai : counter for flat objects
mazu : first of all, to begin with
miseru : show
o-azukari shimasu : receive, be entrusted with
okuru : send
purezento : present
ranchi : lunch
saigo ni : finally, at the end
sono ato : after that
soshite : then
sureba : if I do
tamago : egg
tame ni : for the purpose of, benefit of
-te kara : after ...ing
tsukuru : make
yameru : quit, stop, cease, drop (idea/plan)
yōji : errand, chore, something to do
yon-mai : four (flat objects)


Ā ā Ē ē Ī ī Ō ō Ū ū

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Japanese Lesson #17"

Post a Comment