Japanese Learning Process

I am reading "Berlitz Essential Japanese" and I am going to blog about the process of me learning Japanese from this book.
I will summarize each lesson in my own way for future references :)

March 3, 2011

Japanese Lesson #11

Nihon no koto, dō omoimasu ka. (What do you think of Japan?)

Jiko shōkai = Introducing yourself
[your name] to mōshimasu. (I'm called [name].)
[company or university name] no [your name] desu. (I'm [name] from [company or university].)
[country or city name] kara kimashita. (I'm from [country or city].)
Ima [place-name] ni sunde imasu. (I now live in [placename].)
[name] daigaku de [subject] o benkyō shite imasu. (I'm studying [subject] at [name] university.)
[company name] ni tsutomete imasu. (I work at [company name].)

...ga jōzu desu = is good at...
heta = poor at
person use wa; thing you are good at or bad at use ga
eg.
Ogawa san wa Eigo ga jōzu desu ne. (Ms. Ogawa is good at English, isn't she?)
Watashi wa ryōri ga amari jōzu desu ne. (I'm not very good at cooking.)

Joining -i adjectives with -kute
eg.
Omoshiroi eiga deshita. + Ii eiga deshita = Omoshirokute, ii eiga deshita. (It was a good, interesting movie.)
Sūgaku wa muzukashikute, suki ja arimasen. (Mathematics is difficult, and I don't like it.)
Atama ga itakute, ku-ji han ni nemashita. (I had a headache, and I went to bed at 9.30.)
Hazukashikute, dame deshita. (I was embarrassed, and it was no good.)
Tenki ga warukute, zannen deshita. (The weather was bad, and it was a pity.)

The plain forms of verbs
eg.
Piano ga dekiru kedo, amari jōzu ja arimasen. (I can play the piano, but I'm not very good.)
Takahashi san wa Eigo ga wakaru deshō ka. (I wonder if Ms. Takahashi understands English.)
-negative of plain form ends in -nai
-ru > -nai
taberu > tabemasen > tabenai (don't eat)
kangaeru > kangaemasen > kangaenai (doesn't think of)
miru > mimasen > minai (doesn't see)
tsukareru > tsukaremasen > tsukarenai (doesn't tire)
wasureru > wasuremasen > wasurenai ( doesn't forget)
oshieru > oshiemasen > oshienai (doesn't teach)
iru > imasen > inai (isn't in)
eg.
Saitō san wa sakana o tabenai deshō. (Ms. Saito doesn't eat fish, am I right?)
Terebi wa amari minai deshō. (You don't usually watch TV, do you?)
-u > -anai/-wanai
nomu > nomimasen > nomanai (doesn't drink)
hanasu > hanashimasen > hanasanai (doesn't speak)
omou > omoimasen > omowanai (doesn't think)
hashiru > hashirimasen > hashiranai (doesn't run)
kau > kaimasen > kawanai (doesn't buy)
matsu > machimasen > matanai (doesn't wait)
iku > ikimasen > ikanai (doesn't go)
kaku > kakimasen > kakanai (doesn't write)
wakaru > wakarimasen > wakaranai (doesn't understand)
kuru > kimasen > konai (doesn't come)
suru > shimasen > shinai (doesn't do)
aru > arimasen > nai (there isn't)
eg.
Ani wa ikanai kedo, watashi wa ikimasu. (My elder brother isn't going, but I am.)
Itō san wa kōhii o nomanai deshō. (Mr. Itō doesn't drink coffee, does he?)
Kotae wa bau deshō. (There isn't an answer, is there?)

plain form of desu = da(positive) and dewa nai or ja nai (negative)
eg.
Sō ja nai deshō.(That's probably not so.)

Mada atte inai = not yet
(when something hasn't yet happened, use -te imasen/ -te inai form)
eg.
Hiru-gohan wa mada tabete imasen. (I haven't eaten lunch yet.)
Rekishi no shukudai wa mada kaite inai deshō. (You haven't written your history homework yet, right?)

To omoimasu = I think
eg.
Sore wa zannen desu. (That's a pity.)
Sore wa zannen da to omoimasu. (I think that's a pity)
Takahashi san wa kimasen. (Ms. Takahashi isn't coming.)
Takahashi san wa konai to omoimasu. (I don't think Ms. Takahashi is coming.)
Are wa uso da to omoimasu. (I think that's untrue.)
Nihon de no seikatsu wa muzukashii to omoimasu ka. (Do you think living in Japan is difficult?)

Someone is thinking, use omotte imasu
eg.
Maiku san wa Nihon no terebi wa amari omoshiroku nai to omotte imasu. (Mike thinks that Japanease television isn't very interesting.)
Takahashi san mo sō omotte imasu. (Ms. Takahashi thinks so too.)

kangaeru = to consider/think about
eg.
Nani o kangaete imasu ka. (What are you thinking about?)
Chiimu no koto o kangaete imashita. (I was thinking about the team.)

Sashimi ya sushi ya = sashimi and sushi, etc
eg.
Sono gakkō de Eigo ya Furansugo ya Doitsugo (nado) o oshiete imasu. (At that school they teach English, French, German and the like.)
Kyōto ya Nara (nado) e ikimashita. (I went to Kyoto, Nara, etc.)

...koto ga dekimasu = can/be able to
(to the plain form of word)
eg.
Maiku san wa kanji o kaku koto ga dekimasu ka. (Mike, can you write kanji characters?)
Soko e wa, basu de iku koto ga dekimasen. (You can't get there by bus.)
Kore o zenbu taberu koto ga dekinai to omoimasu. (I think I can't eat all this.)
Nihongo ga dekimasu ka. (Can you (speak) Japanese?)
Tenisu ga dekimasu ka. (Can you (play) tennis)

Invitations using a negative verb = -imasen ka
eg.
Raishū no doyōbi wa tanjōbi no pātii o shimasu ga, Maiku san mo kimasen ka. (I'm having a birthday party next Saturday, would you like to come, Mike?)
Mō hiru-gohan o jikan desu ne. Issho ni tabemasen ka. (It's already lunch time, isn't it? Would you like to eat with us?)

Vocabulary
aru : there is/are
atama ga yokute : is clever
atte inai : haven't met
basu : bus
basukettobōru : basketball
bōifurendo : boyfriend
chiimu : team
da : is/are
dekimashita : were able to
dō omoimasu ka : what do you think?
Doitsugo : German Language
ganbarimasu : I'll do my best
gēmu : game
hashiru : run
hayaku : quickly
hazukashikute : embarrassed and...
jiko shōkai : self-introduction
jūgyō : lesson, class
kagaku : science
kangaete imasu : think about
kao : face
kotae : answer, response
koto ga dekimasu : can, be possible
koto : thing, event, fact
kuni: country
mada mada dame desu : I'm still no good (at...)
made ni : by, by the time
mae ni : before, previously
manejā : manager
nado : and so on, et cetera
nagai : long
nai : there isn't/aren't
Nihon no koto : about Japan
Ohaio-shu : the state of Ohio
omoshirokute : interesting and
owaru : finish, end
piano : piano
rekishi : history
ryōri : cooking, cuisine
soba : noodles
san-shūkan : three weeks
seikatsu : life, living
shōkai shimashō : let me introduce you
-shūkan : -weeks
shumi : interest, hobby
sūgaku : mathematics
supōtsu : sport
sushi : raw fish with rice
tabemono : food
taiiku : physical education, training
to mōshimasu : am called
to omoimasu : I think
tsutomete imasu : be employed
uso : untruth, story, lie
ya : and
yoku dekimashita : you did well
yoku : well
zenbu : all

Quoted from Berlitz Essential Japanese


Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Japanese Lesson #11"

Post a Comment